Peppermint Oreo Truffles
Only four ingredients, these peppermint Oreo truffles are an easy treat to whip together for company and would make a great homemade Christmas gift!
I was so close to turning on Christmas music this weekend. So close.
I try to strictly adhere to a policy of no Christmas music or Christmas decorations in the house before Thanksgiving–I think one month is a fair amount of time to deck the halls with festive anticipation without overdoing it (my Facebook feed, however, has been filled with photos of my friends’ already assembled and decorated Christmas trees since the day after Halloween, and my neighbors put away their Halloween decorations and hung their Christmas ones on the same day!).
I managed to refrain–no Christmas music just yet. Christmas candies, though, are a different story.
Of all the candies I’ve made on this site so far (all which I consider to be easy recipes), these are by far the simplest. My sister has been making the traditional version of these (no mint) for a few years now and I thought they could use a minty change-up for the holidays.
The ingredient list is short, as are the instructions. It’s a simple matter of pulverizing mint-flavored Oreos, mixing them with cream cheese, rolling, freezing, dipping in chocolate and sprinkling with peppermint shards.
These would make a great last-minute dessert idea for the holidays, or an even better Christmas gift.
Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- 1 pkg Mint Crème Filled Oreos 15.25 oz
- 8 oz pkg cream cheese- room temperature
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate melting wafers
- 3 Tbsp crushed peppermint candy . I crushed candy canes by placing them in a ziploc bag and smacking them with a rolling pin
- Using a food processor (though you could also do this by crushing the cookies in a Ziploc bag using a rolling pin—just make sure they are crushed very fine), pulse oreos until very fine crumbs.
- In KitchenAid (or in a large bowl using an electric mixer or spoon) stir cream cheese until well-creamed.
- Stir in cookie crumbs, stirring until well-combined (pause regularly to scrape down sides of bowl).
- Roll into ~ 1 Tbsp-sized balls and place on wax-paper lined cookie sheet.
- Transfer rolled truffles to freezer and freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Once truffles have chilled, prepare your chocolate by heating it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well, then return to microwave for 15 seconds and stir afterwards. Repeat 15-second heating periods until chocolate is completely melted.
- Dip truffles in melted chocolate (my preferred technique for this is to balance the truffle on the width of a butter-knife blade, use a spoon to ladle chocolate evenly overtop, and then use another knife to slide the truffle back onto the wax paper) and return to wax-paper. Immediately after dipping each truffle, sprinkle with crushed peppermint candy.
- Return to refrigerator and allow chocolate to harden before serving.
Recipe originally published 11/23/2015